posted at 1:52 pm Mon Jun 16th, 2014 by (WherezIt_Staff)
Stone grabs first Modified win; Donahue tops Renegades
Brian Hoar added to his impressive list of American-Canadian Tour Late Model stock car victories on Father's Day, Sunday, June 15, winning the 101.5 The Fox Spring Green 114 at Devil's Bowl Speedway.
Hoar saved his best for last to notch the 40th win of his ACT career - tops all-time on that series. Hoar was joined as a winner during the program by Todd Stone, Stephen Donahue, Mike Whalen, Jr., and Todd Patnode.
Hoar, of Williston, VT, used the race's final restart with seven laps remaining to pounce on leader Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., then ran away and hid at the front of the field. Hoar ended a 13-month winless streak with the victory, earning his second Spring Green win at Devil's Bowl since 2011.
Polewarczyk led 46 laps and settled for the runner-up finish. Two-time Spring Green winner Wayne Helliwell, Jr., drove from 21st starting position to finish third. Quebec's Stephane Descoste continued the best season of his ACT career in fourth place, with recent Vermont State Late Model Championship Series event winner Nick Sweet fifth. Emily Packard finished sixth ahead of Jimmy Hebert, Bobby Therrien, Brandon Atkins, and Ray Parent. Thirty-four cars entered the event.
Aaron Fellows of Croydon, NH was poised for a career-best showing with ACT, leading the first 60 laps and running in contention for a podium result when he was involved in a violent crash with just seven laps remaining. Fellows bounced off the Turn 4 wall, then slammed nearly head-on into a separate wall in Turn 1; he was able to walk away under his own power despite initial soreness.
Defending Bond Auto Parts Modified champion Todd Stone landed in victory lane for the first time this season, fending off multiple late-race challenges from Jessey Mueller. Stone, of Middlebury, VT, was part of a four-way battle for the lead in the early laps with Leon Gonyo, Mueller, and Ron Proctor. Stone worked the outside lane and grabbed the lead from Gonyo at lap 11, then held off Mueller through heavy lapped traffic as the laps wound down.
Stone crossed the line first, followed by Mueller, Gonyo, Joey Roberts, and Proctor. Jason Durgan finished sixth, followed by Jamie LaFountain, Vince Quenneville, Jr., Hunter Bates, and Cody Sargen. The finish is unofficial pending a review of post-race technical inspection.
Sixteen year-old Stephen Donahue of Graniteville, VT posted the second win of his career in the Renegade division after a rough 20-lap race. Donahue held off an exciting challenge from both Jon Boutin and Robert Gordon late in the going. Jim McKiernan and Randy Howard rounded out the top five. The race was halted by a red flag after a frightening collision involving the car of Chris Emerson and the Devil's Bowl Speedway pace car. Emerson was circling the track under the caution flag when he lost control and slammed into the pace car; both Emerson and pace car driver Brad Barrett were shaken but uninjured.
Mike Whalen, Jr. of Plattsburgh, NY became the fourth different winner in as many events for the Central Vermont Motorcycles Mini Stock division. Whalen earned his third career Devil's Bowl win by holding off Chris LaVair and Chuck Bradford in a 20-lap race, with Jake Noble and Kodi Sabins in tow.
Veteran driver Todd Patnode of Richmond, NH made his first trip to Devil's Bowl Speedway's victory lane in the 20-lap feature race for the SK Light division. Patnode, in his first start with the division at the track, won a competitive race ahead of Scott MacMichael, Bruce Jaycox, Norm Forest, and rookie T.J. Bleau.
Devil's Bowl Speedway returns with plenty of action on Friday, June 20 at 7:00 p.m. with the annual "Hometown Heroes" event sponsored by Cat Country 105.3. The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Modified, Late Model, and Renegade divisions will be on hand, along with a special event for the Mini Stocks, and street-legal Spectator Races. General admission is $12 for adults, $10 for seniors (age 62+), and free for children age 12 and under.
Devil's Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, VT four miles north of Exit 2 on U.S. Route 4. For more information, call (802) 265-3112 or visit www.devilsbowlspeedwayvt.com. Devil's Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway and on Twitter and Instagram at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS - 101.5 The Fox Spring Green
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
Devil's Bowl Speedway, West Haven, VT
Sunday, June 15, 2014
American-Canadian Tour (114 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (12) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 114 Laps
2. (9) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 114 Laps
3. (21) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 114 Laps
4. (2) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 114 Laps
5. (14) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 114 Laps
6. (4) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 114 Laps
7. (13) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 114 Laps
8. (23) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 114 Laps
9. (7) # Brandon Atkins, AuSable Forks, NY, 114 Laps
10. (6) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 114 Laps
11. (5) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 114 Laps
12. (3) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, 114 Laps
13. (19) # Lance Allen, Barre, VT, 114 Laps
14. (11) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 114 Laps
15. (34) Robert Bryant, Jr., Rutland, VT, 113 Laps
16. (27) Joey Laquerre, East Montpelier, VT, 113 Laps
17. (15) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 113 Laps
18. (20) Ricky Bly, Sonapee, NH, 113 Laps
19. (25) Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 113 Laps
20. (16) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 113 Laps
21. (10) Josh Masterson, Bristol, VT, 112 Laps
22. (31) # Brian Tagg, Oxford, MA, 112 Laps
23. (26) James Linardy, Somerville, MA, 112 Laps
24. (32) # Matt Anderson, Franklin, NH, 111 Laps
25. (18) # Mike Ziter, Williamstown, VT, 104 Laps
26. (1) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 100 Laps
27. (17) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 100 Laps
28. (22) # A.J. Panessiti, Barnstead, NH, 99 Laps
29. (29) Richard Staskowski, Hope Valley, RI, 96 Laps
30. (28) Patrick Emeraling, Orchard Park, NY, 52 Laps
31. (8) Ryan Morgan, Mystic, CT, 42 Laps
32. (33) Dan St. Hilare, Shelburne, VT, 39 Laps
33. (30) # John Falconi, Oakham, MA, 36 Laps
34. (24) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 34 Laps
Lap Leaders: Aaron Fellows, 1-60; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., 61-106; Brian Hoar, 107-114.
Time of Race: 1:05:14
Margin of Victory: 1.034 seconds
Cautions: 5 (laps 42, 100, 100, 101, 106)
Heat Winners: Travis Stearns, Brian Hoar, Rowland Robinson, Jr.
Consi Winners: Emily Packard, Josh Masterson
B-Feature Winner: Bobby Therrien
Bond Auto Parts Modified Feature (30 laps)
UNOFFICIAL PENDING TECHNICAL INSPECTION
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (6) Todd Stone, Middlebury, VT
2. (8) Jessey Mueller, Olmstedville, NY
3. (4) Leon Gonyo, Chazy, NY
4. (9) Joey Roberts, Fletcher, VT
5. (3) Ron Proctor, Charlton, NY
6. (15) Jason Durgan, Morrisonville, NY
7. (10) Jamie LaFountain, Plattsburgh, NY
8. (5) Vince Quenneville, Jr., Brandon, VT
9. (7) Hunter Bates, Middlebury, VT
10. (1) Cody Sargen, Greenfield Center, NY
11. (2) Dave Snow, Brandon, VT
12. (11) Johnny Scarborough, Bomoseen, VT
13. (13) # Jason Reome, Clifton Park, NY
14. (12) # Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, VT
15. (14) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, NY
Heat Winners: Joey Roberts, Jessey Mueller
Renegade Feature (20 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (2) Stephen Donahue, Graniteville, VT
2. (7) Jon Boutin, St. Albans, VT
3. (11) Robert Gordon, Milton, VT
4. (4) Jim McKiernan, Plattsburgh, NY
5. (1) Randy Howard, Georgia, VT
6. (9) # Scott FitzGerald, West Rutland, VT
7. (3) Richard Lowrey, III, Charlotte, VT
8. (8) Ray Benoit, Milton, VT
9. (5) Ray Germain, Jr., Bristol, VT
10. (10) Chris Emerson, Chester, VT
11. (6) Tony Putzier, Jericho, VT
Heat Winners: Stephen Donahue, Robert Gordon
Central Vermont Motorcycles Mini Stock Feature (20 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (3) Mike Whalen, Jr., Plattsburgh, NY
2. (6) Chris LaVair, Gabriels, NY
3. (9) Chuck Bradford, Addison, VT
4. (10) Jake Noble, Benson, VT
5. (7) Kodi Sabins, Windsor, VT
6. (2) John McCarron, Rensselaer, NY
7. (13) Lacey Hanson, Orwell, VT
8. (14) Lance Masterson, Lincoln, VT
9. (1) # Andrew FitzGerald, West Rutland, VT
10. (11) # Doug Senecal, West Rutland, VT
11. (8) Kyle Watrous, Bomoseen, VT
12. (4) Bobby LaVair, Saranac Lake, NY
13. (5) Matt Monaghan, Colchester, VT
14. (12) Harold LaVair, Jr., Gabriels, NY
15. (15) Kyle Sorensen, Ballston Spa, NY
Heat Winners: Jake Noble, Mike Whalen, Jr.
SK Light Feature (20 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (3) Todd Patnode, Richmond, NH
2. (6) Scott MacMichael, Newbury, NH
3. (2) Bruce Jaycox, Hartland, VT
4. (1) Norm Forest, Lebanon, NH
5. (4) # T.J. Bleau, Troy, NH
6. (5) Kenny Cantlin, Enfield, NH
Heat Winner: Todd Patnode
Waterbury, VT 05676 (Set as Local)
Barre, VT 05641 (Set as Local)
West Haven, VT 05743 (Set as Local)