posted at 2:23 pm Mon Jul 6th, 2015 by (WherezIt_Staff)
Therrien, McKiernan first-time winners
Vince Quenneville Jr. came out on top of a heart-stopping stock car holiday special at the Coca-Cola Firecracker 44 at Devil's Bowl Speedway on Friday, July 3.
The Brandon, VT native and veteran Modified driver had a long and hard-fought battle with Joey Roberts, then held off a late charge from Ron Proctor for his first win of the season. Other feature winners on the night for the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series presented by Yandow Sales & Service and John Deere included Bobby Therrien, Jim McKiernan, Chris LaVair, and Jeff Murray.
Rookie Bob Kilburn led the opening nine circuits the 44-lap Bond Auto Parts Modified race before Roberts took command. Quenneville broke free from traffic and chased Roberts down, and the two engaged in a thrilling duel before being joined by Leon Gonyo for a three-car fight. Gonyo's night came to an abrupt end at lap 34, though, when his car clipped the inside retaining wall and shot nearly head-on into the outside wall.
The fireworks on the track were just beginning, though, as Roberts and Quenneville came together at the ensuing restart, sending Roberts flying off the top of the first turn and bringing out the caution flag again. Quenneville found a new dancing partner in Proctor with two restarts in the final nine laps, and was only able to break free from Proctor with two laps remaining.
Quenneville, a long-time loyalist with Troyer Race Cars, won the race in his debut with a new chassis. Proctor, of Charlton, NY, retained the point lead with the runner-up finish, while Greg Atkins finished a quiet but solid third. After pitting for a new tire after the earlier contact, Roberts rebounded to finish fourth. Billy Lussier rounded out the top five finishers.
Bobby Therrien was a first-time Devil's Bowl winner in the 44-lap Central Vermont Motorcycles Late Model feature. Seventeen year-old "Little Walt" Hammond of Canaan, NH had a breakout performance in leading the first 27 laps before Therrien made his way to the point. The Hinesburg, VT racer started ninth and worked through traffic, sparring with Josh Masterson, Brandon Atkins, Robert Bryant Jr., and Hammond's father, Walt Hammond Jr. on his way to the front.
A spin on lap 35 took early leader Hammond out of the race, setting up a sensational battle between Atkins and Masterson second position. Atkins took the spot by about a foot at the finish line after a clean-but-full-contact drag race out of the final corner. Todd Stone finished fourth, with Bryant fifth.
Jim McKiernan of Moriah, NY picked up the first victory of his career in the 20-lap Brileya's Chrysler-Jeep Renegade feature. McKiernan stretched out to big lead early before defending track champion Robert Gordon tracked him down in the last five laps. McKiernan held Gordon off by just a car length for the win. Rookie Matt Monaghan finished a career-best third, followed by Jimmy Bushey and Scott FitzGerald.
Chris LaVair of Gabriels, NY extended his Portland Glass Mini Stock win streak to four in a row in that division's 20-lap feature. Chuck Bradford finished second with Kris Clark third, Harold LaVair fourth, and rookie Brad Bertrand fifth. Race director Mike Bruno announced that a $100 bonus will be awarded to the first driver to beat LaVair for a feature win moving forward.
Jeff Murray of Georgia, VT won a classically wild 50-lap race for the MFT Sauce & Rub Co. Enduro Series for his second career victory. Murray benefitted from the misfortunes of early leader Cory Gray, then outdistanced runner-up Zach Wood. Wood's father, Brett Wood, finished third, followed by Shawn Moquin and Andrew Lopes.
Devil's Bowl Speedway wraps up Independence Day weekend on Sunday, July 5, as the 3/10-mile infield "Dirt Track at Devil's Bowl" opens for its first race of the season with the WhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey Fireworks Special at 6:00 p.m., featuring the Sprint Cars of New England, Sportsman Modifieds, Renegades, and Mini Stocks. Admission is $20 for adults, $18 for seniors, and free for kids 12 and under.
The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series presented by Yandow Sales & Service and John Deere returns to action on the half-mile asphalt oval on Friday, July 11 at 7:30 p.m. with the Rutland Herald Mid-Season Championships, driver autographs, and a hot rod show for the RAVE Classic Car Club.
Devil's Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, VT, four miles north of Exit 2 on U.S. Route 4. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil's Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway and on Twitter and Instagram at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS - Coca-Cola Firecracker
Devil's Bowl Speedway, West Haven, VT
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series presented by Yandow Sales & Service and John Deere
Friday, July 3, 2015
Bond Auto Parts Modified Feature (44 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (5) Vince Quenneville Jr., Brandon, VT
2. (10) Ron Proctor, Charlton, NY
3. (6) Greg Atkins, Clintonville, NY
4. (9) Joey Roberts, Fletcher, VT
5. (4) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, VT
6. (1) Dave Snow, Brandon, VT
7. (2) # Bob Kilburn, Fair Haven, VT
8. (7) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, NY
9. (3) Jimmy Ryan, Whiting, VT
10. (11) Leon Gonyo, Chazy, NY
11. (8) Jason Furman, Ballston Spa, NY
Heat Winners: Leon Gonyo; Joey Roberts
Ingersoll Rand Power Tools Award: Vince Quenneville Jr.
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Ron Proctor
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Leon Gonyo
Central Vermont Motorcycles Late Model Feature (44 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (9) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT
2. (11) Brandon Atkins, Au Sable Forks, NY
3. (10) Josh Masterson, Bristol, VT
4. (12) Todd Stone, Middlebury, VT
5. (2) Robert Bryant Jr., Brooklyn, CT
6. (4) Walt Hammond Jr., Canaan, NH
7. (8) Seth Bridge, Mendon, VT
8. (5) Steve Miller, Vergennes, VT
9. (6) # Richard Lowery III, Charlotte, VT
10. (3) Chad White, Fort Ann, NY
11. (7) Jesse Carris, Rutland, VT
12. (1) Walter J. Hammond, Canaan, NH
Heat Winners: Josh Masterson; Robert Bryant Jr.
Ingersoll Rand Power Tools Award: Bobby Therrien
Crazy Horse Racing Winners Circle Challenge: Bobby Therrien
Brileya's Chrysler-Jeep Renegade Feature (20 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (4) Jim McKiernan, Moriah Center, NY
2. (7) Robert Gordon, Milton, VT
3. (1) # Matt Monaghan, Colchester, VT
4. (6) Jimmy Bushey, Mooers Forks, NY
5. (3) Scott FitzGerald, West Rutland, VT
6. (5) # Tony Salerno, Mineville, NY
7. (2) # Shawn Franklin, Waitsfield, VT
Heat Winner: Robert Gordon
Ingersoll Rand Power Tools Award: Jim McKiernan
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Robert Gordon
Portland Glass Mini Stock Feature (20 laps)
(# - denotes rookie)
1. (8) Chris LaVair, Gabriels, NY
2. (7) Chuck Bradford, Addison, VT
3. (6) Kris Clark, Keeseville, NY
4. (2) Harold LaVair Jr., Gabriels, NY
5. (4) # Bradley Bertrand, Ferrisburgh, VT
6. (5) Pete Blaney, Jay, NY
7. (3) Andrew FitzGerald, West Rutland, VT
8. (1) # Tanner Crary, Saranac Lake, NY
9. (9) Kyle Sorensen, Ballston Spa, NY
Heat Winners: Chris LaVair
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Chris LaVair
MFT Sauce & Rub Co. Enduro Series Feature (50 laps)
1. (35) Jeff Murray, Georgia, VT
2. (20X) Zach Wood, Georgia, VT
3. (802) Brett Wood, Georgia, VT
4. (76) Shawn Moquin, Milton, VT
5. (33) Andrew Lopes, Colchester, VT
6. (17) Cory Gray, Rutland, VT
7. (14) Chris Mattos, Milton, VT
8. (23) Curtis Denton, St. Albans, VT
9. (68) Kevin Sorel, Plattsburgh, NY
10. (72) Kevin Prim, Burlington, VT
11. (98) Dominic Guerrina, North Hero, VT
12. (38) Casey O'Connell, Burlington, VT
13. (30) Tom Kudlacik, Milton, VT
14. (20) Darren Williams, Granville, NY
15. (01) Dakota Shattuck, Rutland, VT
16. (18) Anisa Hinton, West Pawlet, VT
17. (80) Hunter Murray, Cambridge, VT
18. (73) Willie Rice, Poultney, VT
19. (15) Stephen Williams, Bomoseen, VT
20. (02) Jason Wood, Georgia, VT
21. (666) Cole Botala, Grand Isle, VT
22. (05) Eddie Shackett Jr., Middlebury, VT
23. (41) Edward Barrett
No Score: (00) Kirk Brunelle, Ferrisburgh, VT
Did Not Start: (26) Emily Lopes, Colchester, VT
West Haven, VT 05743 (Set as Local)